Exhibitions Interrupted – SOLD OUT
by Dr. Barbara Tomlinson
Tuesdays, 1:30-3:00 pm; January 26, February 2, 9, 16 and 23, 2021.
2020 saw museums around the world mounting spectacular exhibitions only to have them shut down. These sessions offer an opportunity to visit some of those exhibitions. The exhibitions will be covered in the following order, although discussions of some may have to bridge two classes.
- The Obama Portraits, National Portrait Gallery, Washington
- The Ghent Altarpiece, Ghent Museum of Fine Arts
- Snow Scenes: Bruegel to Monet
- Sofonisba Anguissola and Lavinia Fontana, the Prado
- Titian Poesie, London National Gallery
- Rembrandt/Velazquez, The Rijksmuseum
- The Man in the Red Coat, Armand Hammer Foundation.
Dr. Barbara Tomlinson is Professor Emerita at Kean University. She obtained her BA, cum laude, from Barnard College, New York City, a MA in teaching from Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., and PhD in American and Women’s History from Rutgers University, New Brunswick. She teaches cultural history in various continuing education programs around the state. Her classes provide the student with an historical perspective on the economic, social, and political dynamics of the artist’s era. In addition to providing insight and a critical understanding of a particular work of art and artist, she entertains her classes with her quick wit and humorous stories.